Information for Owners
Welcome! I am glad you are here seeking proper nutritional advice for your furry loved one!
Please note, I provide veterinary nutritional consulting for canines and felines only.
Examples of the types of consultations I provide
Individual homemade diet recipe(s) for the nutritional management of medical condition(s) where a commercial diet is not available or not accepted by the pet
Therapeutic commercial diet recommendations for the nutritional management of medical condition(s)
Well-pet commercial diet recommendations or homemade diet recipe(s) for those who choose to cook at home for their pet- Adult pets only
Weight loss plans for overweight and obese pets
Phone consultations for general questions regarding feeding your healthy pet, including feeding during specific life stages
How to consult with me
Nutritional recommendations for pets with any medical condition(s) are intended to treat or manage disease(s) and are part of the medical treatment plan. In order to provide remote consultations for pets with medical conditions, I must work with your primary care veterinarian, the veterinarian who has an established veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR) with you and your pet. This is required both by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and state laws and regulations and is not optional. This ensures that your pet’s health status and medical needs are clearly known to me so that I can provide the best nutritional advice for your pet.
To proceed with a consultation, the following are required:
1. Nutrition consultation form. If you are seeking consultation for more than one pet, you will need to complete one form PER PET. You can begin this form by clicking here. At this time, do not use Safari as the web browser to complete the form.
2. Veterinary referral form. You will receive a link for this form in an email after completing the nutrition consultation form. You will forward that to your referring veterinarian per the instructions in the email.
3. All pertinent medical records including a CBC, serum chemistry, T4 and urinalysis performed within the last 6 months. These are provided by your veterinarian.
4. It is your responsibility to ensure all required medical records and other relevant items are submitted promptly. We do not obtain or request these items from your referring veterinarian.
5. Please do not submit a nutrition consultation form until you are ready to pursue a consultation. Consultation forms and medical records are not retained beyond two months’ of time for consultations not pursued.
Once we have received all of the above, you will be notified via email and an invoice will be created for you. Once you’ve paid the consultation fees, a link will be emailed to you for scheduling your consultation with Dr. Foster. If you have any questions at any point during the process, please email us.
A written nutritional plan is formulated following your consultation with Dr. Foster and emailed back to both you and your primary care veterinarian (or the referring veterinarian).
Frequently Asked Questions
If you're unsure of whether a homemade diet or commercial diet is best for your pet's medical needs, Dr. Foster will discuss this with you during your consultation and will determine the best direction with you.
Consultation fees vary based on the specific needs of your pet and the type of consultation requested. For instance, if you request a homemade diet recipe be created for your pet, this can increase the cost of your consultation. Please see the consultation fees tab for more information.
Once all required information and documents for a consultation are received, an invoice will be created for you based on your requests. Once consultation fees are paid, a link will be emailed to you to schedule your consultation with Dr. Foster. The appointment is a phone call, unless you request a video call. Following your consultation appointment, Dr. Foster will provide you with a written nutritional plan.
If you have any questions related to your nutritional recommendations, including questions about homemade diet recipes, please reach out directly to Dr. Foster.
Dr. Foster can re-formulate your homemade diet recipe if you request it for an additional fee.
Typically within 5-7 business days of your consultation with Dr. Foster, you will receive your written plan via email.
One nutritionally complete recipe is included with your initial consultation fee. Additional recipes and/or ingredient substitutions will incur additional fees.
Dr. Foster does not formulate nutritional plans for pets including raw food items. If you'd like to get a nutritional plan for your pet that includes raw food items, please visit the www.avcn.org diplomate directory to find a veterinary nutritionist who provides plans including raw food items.
Dr. Foster does offer vegan/vegetarian diet recommendations for canine patients only. Dr. Foster does not offer vegan/vegetarian diet recommendations for feline patients.
If a reformulation of your nutritional plan is required, additional fees will apply.